Rumours had been circulating for weeks that Blizzard Entertainment were in the process of developing a new hero for Overwatch, and with every small snippet of information released came an abundance of fan theories. Perhaps the most popular of which was that the new hero would be the daughter of Swedish engineer, Torbjörn Lindholm.
On February 28th this theory was confirmed as the introduction of Brigitte Lindholm was announced, at BlizzCon 2017, as the 27th character to be joining the hero roster.
Though Torbjörn is shown to have many children Brigitte has been a stand out and quick fan favourite since her first appearance in the digital comics and the animated short, “Honor and Glory”, last November.
Her origin story reveals that Brigitte spent years working with her father in his workshop and became an adept mechanic with a talent for building defence systems.
Listed as a ‘support class’ hero, Brigitte displays a number of different abilities designed to aide teammates such as healing, providing cover and stunning enemies, however she also possesses a number of tank-like qualities, making her a heavy-hitter and breaking the typical support mould.
Here’s the official breakdown of Brigitte’s abilities, as described by Blizzard:
• Rocket Flail – Brigitte’s melee weapon has an extended range, enabling her to strike multiple enemies with a single swing. • Repair Pack – Brigitte throws a Repair Pack that can heal an ally. Any healing over that ally’s maximum health provides them with armour instead.
• Whip Shot – Brigitte throws her flail a long distance, dealing damage and knocking an enemy away from her.
• Barrier Shield – Brigitte deploys a frontal energy barrier to absorb a limited amount of damage.
• Shield Bash – Once her Barrier Shield is deployed, Brigitte can dash forward to stun an enemy.
• Inspire – When Brigitte hits enemies with her flail, she also heals nearby allies over time.
• Rally – Brigitte moves faster and provides all nearby allies with armour that lasts until it’s removed by damage.
No official announcement has been made as to when Brigitte will be available on all platforms but she is currently playable on the Public Test Region (PTR) for Windows PC users. Watch out for updates on Brigitte on the official Overwatch twitter page.
For more information on Brigitte check out the developer update from Jeff Kaplan and the Overwatch team below.