Massive blaze at Victoria’s nightclub in Sauchiehall Street By Stephen MCcabe and Chloe Duffy

Massive blaze at Victoria's nightclub in Sauchiehall Street  By Stephen MCcabe and Chloe Duffy

Emergency services have been called to a massive blaze which has broken out in one of Glasgow’s busiest shopping streets. The blaze broke out at Victoria’s nightclub on Sauchiehall Street which was first reported to the fire services at around 8:20 this morning.

 

The emergency services have since been battling to take control of the fire in a desperate attempt to stop it from spreading onto any other nearby buildings – most importantly, the city’s iconic Pavilion Theatre building, which is less than 200 yards away.

There has since been reports of the fire being caused by asbestos, after witnesses claimed to see firefighters wearing specialist equipment. People have also been vacated from their workplaces and pedestrians have been moved out of the area.

Gillian Islay McPate Glasgow School of Art student was heading to the art school when she came across the fire. She said: “This was about half ten this morning there was fire engines going up past us when I was going up to Uni, the smoke was ‘so bad that she could not see clearly where fire was coming from”.

She could only rely on her friends for further information after she made it to the art school. She said:

“As far as I have heard it started in Victoria’s and spread above to the flats above Holland and Barret’s. The whole of Glasgow had seemed to be tainted with the fumes. The whole city smelled of smoke”.

Traffic has now been diverted away from Sauchiehall Street and it is not yet currently known when it will return to normal.

Police have advised that people take alternative routes and avoid Hope Street, Bath Street, Renfield Street and Renfrew Street.

The devastating fire has occurred after renovations in Victoria’s took Place around year and half ago.

No injuries and fatalities have been reported as of yet but the entire area has been cleared and plenty of business on Sauchiehall street and surrounding areas may be affected by the fire.

Some shows at the Pavilion theatre have already been cancelled one of which being ‘Jonathan Pie: Back to the Studio’ which was due to take place tonight.

Leave a Reply